Sunday, June 19, 2011

Library madness!

Chris and I went to the library the other day and I got to check out a few books. Now this statement is a pretty reasonable one, and really that's where it would end if I wasn't so super excited about this place. I mean wow!

So I had to get a card first, since this is my first visit to a San Jose library. A few moments on one of the computers and I headed to the info desk to show them my ID and proof of address (apparently in CA when you update your drivers license online they don't send you... well... anything. At all.) I took in a Netflix movie we'd just gotten. The librarian who got me all set up was super nice, and talked about all the kids stuff they have there, and made sure I had a flyer of their upcoming storytimes. I really want to take Chris to the Mother Goose storytime, but this week we have to go to his 9 month checkup instead. (I'll bet the storytime would be more fun, but a healthy baby is more important, right?) There's also tai chi, basic computer skills, Chinese/English storytime, ESL groups, and all sorts of lectures and classes.

The kid's book section is HUGE! There's a stage, too, and a couple of computers labeled '0 - 5 years' with spelling games and such on them. Granted I somehow doubt that some of that demographic is into computers yet for anything other than pounding or chewing on, but hey. HUGE windows totally light the place up, and they look out onto the playground and field outside. The library has a PLAYGROUND! (Also, the children's section is where the parenting and childcare books are. Silly me, I was trying to find it where the catalog number should be over in the Grown Up's Books section.) There's also a giant fountain (pond?!) on the other side, with benches to sit on and read if you have that luxury- with a near-toddler I don't.

There's also a couple of large (distinct) sections for several Asian languages, a pretty decent looking DVD section, and a cozy living room like reading area- with a fireplace! And the website is pretty danged handy and full of great info! Score!

The one thing I do miss, though, is having the due date stamped on the back of the books. The bank of self check out machines gave me the option of getting a receipt that has the due date printed on it, but it's just not the same. Handy bookmark though! Also, the library has pretty short hours thanks to budget cuts and oh yeah, more budget cuts. I think that once Chris is a bit older I'll try to volunteer there if I can. Heck, maybe I can get HIM to volunteer in a few years, too! AND I know where I'm taking my books now. Goodwill is out of luck, the library get them! I am definitely looking forward to going back a lot, and I hope that Chris learns to enjoy library books as much as I do. Once he stops trying to eat them, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. This isn't the same thing as a due date stamped in the back of the book, but if San Jose's system is the same as Mountain View's, you should be able to give them an e-mail address attached to your library account and they'll send you a reminder when your book is due in 2 days.

    Shoko

    ps. I tried to post with a LJ identity and then just a name, but both times it complained that the "URL contains illegal characters", so anon it is. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh, odd. Yeah, I could probably do that. And I can check it on my account in the library's online system. Just not the same though! I don't always have the internet with me. Ah well, mustn't be a luddite, I guess. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. That e-mail reminder's saved me more than once. ^^

    Incidentally, if you reserve something, they'll also contact you when it comes in. They originally only had my phone number on file, so I got a call instead of an e-mail... which was seriously creepy. Most recorded messages try for "pleasant female secretary", but the library's message is some guy with a pretty deep voice that could just as well be saying, "We know where you live. You have 5 days to pay the ransom (come pick up the book)." XD

    Shoko

    ReplyDelete